Drexciya (2012) Trailer
Drexciya (28 Min., Super 16mm, Germany / Burkina Faso 2012) is a short science fiction film by Simon Rittmeier, inspired by the Drexciyan myth.
Plot: Thomas works as a trafficker for European refugees that are seeking a better life in Africa. One day his ship sinks and he finds himself as the only survivor washed up on the African shore. He tries to reach the next megacity: Drexciya, an advanced high-tech world. Somewhere in the desert he is stopped by a huge light fence. At the end of his rope a group of young Africans stumble across him: Sisay, Kanchebe and Dylis. After a while they decide to take him along. Yet their mission also seems to be a strange one. They are looking for an almost forgotten place. Lost in the wide desert they come to know each other - speechless, strangers in their own land. More info.
Short film by German filmmaker inspired by Detroit techno legends Drexciya and the Drexciyan myth of an underwater subcontinent populated by the unborn children of pregnant African women thrown off slave ships that adapted to breathing underwater.
hey so guess which jaeger has the highest kaiju kill count AUSTRALIA MATE
it’s hilarious how the specs are making the usa and japanese jaegers the underdogs. and here i am, all: AUSTRALIAAA! CHINAAA YAAY
My body is ready.
i’m so ready. Australian release date July 11, birthday excursion y/y?
My all time favourite Satan
what i never understand is how he’s so great in this, and yet so terrible in tai chi hero.
Melbourne, MQFF is almost upon us! If you’ve been thinking about going but are OVERWHELMED BY CHOICE, here is the shortlist of a queer asian chick (me). also a note that there are vegan lolly bags and you should buy them so they keep being available.
Reviews to follow! …after the festival.
“We need a truly magnificent PG-rated bitchface,” they said, and Moira Kelly said, “I’ve got it handled.”
Those tags #most efficient superhero origin story ever #it’s mostly because i’m a dork but also it’s because it’s awesome #the destruction of the juvenile female in adopting the trappings of the sexual female #both roles she ends up dropping like bad habits #to become the role she wants for herself #avenging motherfucker #she will get there one sewing claw at a time thanks anyway #hell here #best catwoman only catwoman #selina kyle #catwoman #batman returns
But you missed #lifespiration
that in the Chinese version of Disney’s Mulan, the fake name she gives is “Ping”, but her family name “Fa” in English is “Hua” in Chinese, therefore her full name is “Hua Ping”, which is literally “Flower Vase”, and that’s why Shang is so bewildered because it’s a silly name.
but OP how could you not tell them the best part
“hua ping”/flower vase is chinese slang for “camp gay”
I’m a different kind of Chinese so I’d just like to point out that it’s not “Fa” in English, it’s “Fa” in Cantonese. And “Hua” in Mandarin.
because we’ve established that my lovely culture has a wonderful history of producing heartbreak, and that sometimes it’s just nice to kick back a while and not cry at the end of movies
- love in space／全球热恋 - a romcom starring renee liu as rose huang, an astronaut stuck up in outer space with her ex-boyfriend michael (aaron kwok), kwai lun-mei as lily huang, who lives in australia and gets involved with a garbageman (eason chan), and angelababy as peony huang, a truly horrible actress who gets a job at a restaurant in preparation for her next role and meets an aspiring writer (jing boran)
trailer - movie [mando]
- hot summer days／全城热恋 - a dramedy/romcom set in shanghai, shenzhen, beijing, and a small country village about a group of people who are tangentially related and their romantic misadventures. think valentine’s day, or he’s just not that into you, except cuter. and sino.
trailer - movie [original dub - cantonese and mandarin, with chinese subtitles]
- first time／第一次 - well, this one isn’t so happy. or lighthearted. but it’s a pretty interesting film. a remake of the korean drama …ing, angelababy stars as song shiqiao, who has a neuromuscular disease and must stay away from physical exertion despite her dream of being a dancer. also stars mark chao as her high school classmate Gong Ning, with whom she strikes up a romance, and who may not be the person he says he is.
trailer - movie [mando, english sub]
- love／爱 - a 2012 taiwanese romcom film starring people like eddie peng, shu qi, zhao wei, mark chao, ethan juan, amber kuo and ivy chen. another hot summer days plot. shu qi is gorgeous as usual, and zhao wei’s son in the film (doudou) is literally the cutest kid i’ve ever seen.
trailer - movie [mando, super blurry english subs, idk i watched it on tudou over the summer when i was in china so]
- love in disguise／恋爱通告－wang leehom stars as fake!wang leehom (excuse me, du minghan) and liu yifei stars as a slightly less cardboard version of her usual role in a romcom that was written, directed, and which starred wang leehom (another reason for us sino kids to feel awful about ourselves. great). also it stars joan chen and that dude i will forever associate with chen jialuo because once you know it’s the same actor everything changes and my dismissiveness of chen jialuo is justified. follows the (mis)adventures of a famous superstar as he goes undercover to the shanghai central academy of music to find a girl he believes is his 知音.
trailer - movie [mando, english sub]
- love you you／夏日乐悠悠 - all these films are romcoms dear god. it’s telling. so telling. starring angelababy (again) and eddie peng (again), the film is about a young woman, xia mi, who goes undercover on a resort island to investigate the potential illegality of the business practices of you lele, its owner.
trailer - movie [mando, english sub]
- tai chi 0／大太极 - a steampunk wuxia set during the taiping rebellion and the forced industrialisation of china during the mid-to-late qing dynasty. starring a whole slew of people, including the taiji star from my province (yuan xiaochao) as the legendary founder of the yang style of taiji, angelababy as his long-suffering love interest (sort of), feng shaofeng as her brother (he doesn’t really make much of an appearance here though), and eddie peng as hotness personified, or a young westernised orphan with a lot of complexes and the dream of building a railroad through the chen family village. also the gorgeous mandy lieu, who i almost didn’t recognise. choreographed by sammo hung.
trailer 1 - trailer 2 - trailer 3 - movie [mando, english subs]
Hand these over (except 大太极, I saw that already)
The bottom one is a manip, but you can find an interview with the first one at the Disney blogs.
Guillermo Del Toro! And Emma Watson, whom I love.
So apparently cultural appropriation only matters if it’s an American culture! Good to know!
Seriously, I see people getting up in arms over white girls in war bonnets - and that’s fine, that’s as it should be. I see people getting up in arms over people portraying Ratonhnhaké:ton with a warbonnet when he’s Mohawk, not Plains, and that’s fine and as it should be too.
But nobody cares that they put Aboriginal Australian trappings onto a European animal? Specifically a European animal that was introduced here, became feral, and destroyed a huge portion of the ecosystem Aboriginal Australians depended on to survive?
Basically Everything You Need To Know About the Pacific Rim Trailer:
- obligatory Asian people running from giant sea monster
- “But it came from deep beneath the sea, a portal between dimensions in the Pacific Ocean” soooo, kinda like Half-Life?
- big fuckin’ mechas
- that mecha has four arms
- Idris Elba yelling “today we are CANCELLING the apocalypse!”
- gratuitous CGI porn
- you’re welcome
Okayyy disclaimer I’m neither Australian nor aboriginal, so this is some second hand stuff, but hey America does deeply shitty things to its own native populations so it’s pretty easy to spot when we’re doing it to other people’s!
when I read the part about creating Australia as a haven for rabbits I think my body automatically tried to turn inside out with rage
they are the number one invasive vertebrate villain here. number one! they have driven dozens of species to extinction or endangerment by out-competing natives for food and shelter, destroying soil stability, spreading weeds, and facilitating the spread of cats and foxes and feral dogs (because rabbits with their crazy reproduction rates can shrug off feral predation, but their native counterparts just plain can’t)
but no, sure, dress up the worst ecological disaster to happen to this country* as a cute thing, go for it
*amongst other things (original post does say besides people but yes)
it’s funny the things that make me mad
like the rabbit in this movie
i watched the trailer for this and got really super angry about the boomerang and it all went downhill from there